*** Welcome to the Andrew Warde High School tribute website ... There are 46 issues of the Crimson Crier school newspaper from 1967 through 1976 available for download on this website ... Please visit the companion blog in the "Library" in the left-hand margin to access and download the Crimson Crier newspapers ... Please credit this website for any content, photos, or videos you share with others ... Paul Piorek is editor and publisher of the Andrew Warde High School tribute website and a proud member of the AWHS Class of 1976 ... Contact Paul at paulpiorek@gmail.com ...

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

You Can Go Home Again


I spent this past Sunday afternoon at Tony Procaccini's parents' home collecting memorabilia which needed to be scanned for our reunion Web site. Tony happened to be playing at a wedding at nearby Assumption Church when I arrived, and his Mom made me feel right at home on the front porch.

We chatted for awhile, broaching such topics as where I lived, how many children I had, and what I did for a living. I complimented her on a fine home and neighborhood, and we enjoyed the brilliant sunshine and cool breeze only a front porch provides.

Tony's Dad emerged from inside the house later, and we struck up another conversation on the front porch. As soon as he found out I am the morning meteorologist at News 12, he eagerly began talking about the front page feature story about hurricanes in Sunday's Connecticut Post. We talked about Gloria in 1985, and the double-whammy which caused the massive floods of 1955. We discussed the likelihood of another catastrophic hurricane in the Northeast this year.

I can see why his parents enjoy sitting on that porch. In many ways, it reminds me of Sheriff Andy Taylor's front porch in the classic 1960s sitcom The Andy Griffith Show. Life's hectic pace is slowed to a crawl, and there's no need to rush. It was comfortable and relaxing. Just perfect for a late-Sunday afternoon. Perhaps the most pressing issue was whether or not to get "a bottle of Pop," one of the quotes made famous by Deputy Barney Fife while he was relaxing on such a front porch.

I spotted Tony walking up the street, and within minutes we were inside glancing at all his "souvenirs" and articles from high school. I marveled at his collection, which included report cards, class schedules, band programs, and newspaper clippings about the baseball team. Tony even gave me his "letter," the famed crimson "W," which was scanned into the Web site this morning.

I guess each of us is like Tony. He showed me the graduation program and his diploma. I told him I had both items at work along with the Flame yearbook, which I've been using to create album pages for the reunion Web site. We save those things which have a special place during a special time in our lives.

Even though I didn't spend a whole lot of time with Tony's parents, I enjoyed the peace and quiet of their front porch and the friendliness of their company.

Paul

No comments: