*** Welcome to the Andrew Warde High School tribute website ... There are 46 issues of the Crimson Crier school newspaper from 1967 through 1976 available for download on this website ... Please visit the companion blog in the "Library" in the left-hand margin to access and download the Crimson Crier newspapers ... Please credit this website for any content, photos, or videos you share with others ... Paul Piorek is editor and publisher of the Andrew Warde High School tribute website and a proud member of the AWHS Class of 1976 ... Contact Paul at paulpiorek@gmail.com ...

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Andy Larsen Recalls His Memorable 1975 CIAC Singles Tennis Championship Victory Over West Haven's Pete Lyons 34 Years Ago This Week

Andy Larsen called it his top high school sports accomplishment. That's quite a statement from one of Andrew Warde High School's top multi-sports stars of the 1970s. The former three-time all-state hockey player, CIAC tennis team champion, and CIAC doubles tennis champion fondly remembered his 1975 CIAC singles tennis championship 34 years ago this week.

Larsen defeated Notre Dame of West Haven's Pete Lyons to claim the title, 6-4, 6-0, at Yale University in New Haven, Tuesday afternoon, June 17, 1975. The Warde junior completely dominated the fifth-ranked Lyons by winning the last seven games to earn the championship with his straight sets victory.

"I can still see Pete Lyons on the other side of the court at Yale’s number one tennis court," Larsen told me via email today. "He may have been a better player, but I was so pumped up I couldn’t miss a shot. Because I was in such good shape, I ran down all his big shots and returned them for winners," added Larsen, who gained his finals berth by defeating Dan Arenas of Manchester, 6-3, 6-3.

"I remember Pete looking at me as if (he was) saying, 'You have got to be kidding me?' He never got into the match. Every time he hit a big first serve and charged the net, I either hit the ball at his feet, or right by him. It was an awesome day, and one that I will never forget!"

Larsen defeated Arenas earlier in the day in the semi-finals, and he credits his stamina and strategy for carrying him through both matches that late Spring afternoon. "I can’t picture the face of Dan Arenas, but I’m glad I beat him," Larsen admitted. "I was in top shape that day, and playing two matches was not a problem. Because I played thinking a shot ahead, I would wear my opponents down while expending as little energy as I needed to."

The tournament, though, was marred by controversy over the withdrawal of top-ranked Wilton from the event. Second-ranked Drew Hastings of Wilton was disqualified from the CIAC tournament because of his participation in a non-sanctioned Farmington event. As a result, top-ranked and defending singles' champion Tom Mott, who had defeated Larsen earlier that year in straight sets, withdrew from the state event in protest over his teammate's elimination.

"It was a shame that Wilton and Tom Mott withdrew from the state tournament," pointed out Larsen, who recently visited with his former tennis teammate, Tom Knuth. "It was their (Wilton's) loss. You are only in high school for four years, and this opportunity will never be available again for them. I, on the other hand, welcomed the opportunity with great enthusiasm and cherish the result of that day to this day. I was looking forward to a rematch with Tom Mott with my goal to beat him, but we will never know."

Larsen, a senior sourcing agent with Atlantic Inertial, has fond memories of the state tournament 34 years ago. "I went to the tournament to play hard and was probably in the best shape of my life. (I) wish I could do what I did on that day today," he wrote.

"It was a great day, and I owe it all to my father, mother, the coaches --- Ed Lominski, John Honey, Tom Raslavski --- and the rest of the Andrew Warde tennis team, but most especially my best friend and sparring partner, Tom Knuth.

"I have to say, my days spent as a student at Andrew Warde High School were probably some of the best times I’ve spent in my life!"

Paul

Please sign the AWHS Guest Book.

Visit the Andrew Warde High School Gift Shop.

Watch the AWHS 1976 vintage "film".

No comments: