*** Welcome to the Andrew Warde High School tribute website ... There are 46 issues of the Crimson Crier school newspaper from 1967 through 1976 available for download on this website ... Please visit the companion blog in the "Library" in the left-hand margin to access and download the Crimson Crier newspapers ... Please credit this website for any content, photos, or videos you share with others ... Paul Piorek is editor and publisher of the Andrew Warde High School tribute website and a proud member of the AWHS Class of 1976 ... Contact Paul at paulpiorek@gmail.com ...

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Andrew Warde High School's Class of 1964 Held Successful 45-Year Reunion Last Saturday

Andrew Warde High School's Class of 1964 held a successful 45-year reunion last Saturday night, according to reunion committee member Gloria Evans. The event, which was held at Aldario's Restaurant on Naugatuck Avenue in Milford, was well-attended.

"The reunion was fantastic. I had a wonderful time catching up with classmates I haven't seen in years," she told me via email earlier this week. "Two classmates were there who have never been to a reunion in 45 years. We had a total of 46 classmates attend. (I) hope for the 50th that the turnout is better."

Evans, who was part of a graduating class of 353 students and is pictured below with fellow classmate Steve Szobota, said classmates came from Florida, North Carolina, and even New Mexico to attend the event. She said the alumni enjoyed reminiscing about their high school years and playing pop trivia. "We did an age test type quiz," she said. "We asked questions about things that happened during the 60s. We'd read a line and a classmate would have to finish it."

For example, one of the lines was You wonder where the yellow went (when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent). The winner took home a toothbrush and a carton of Pepsodent toothpaste. Another one was M&M's melt in your mouth, (not in your hands). The winner, naturally, received a box of M&M's.

"We also asked general questions such as who came the farthest and who has been married the longest," Evans added. "We gave little gifts for all the questions." In addition, a disc jockey played popular oldies from the early-to-mid 1960s. Here are a few photos from the memorable evening. The first photo shows reunion committee member Linda Komaromi White between Doug Goodfellow and Ted Ringelheim.

Evans has fond memories of her years at Andrew Warde High School. She even shared a funny story about a high school dance during her senior year. "I loved going to the Friday night canteen dances in our high school cafeteria. I didn't miss any," she admitted.

"I remember I had the measles during my senior year and my mother told me I wasn't to go out. Well, she was out that evening, and (don't) you know it, I dressed myself in slacks and a sweater that covered just about everything and I went. I wasn't missing the canteens."

Conversely, she sadly remembered one of the biggest news stories of the century. Just three months into their senior year, Evans and her classmates were shocked to hear that the president had been assassinated in Dallas. Evans recalled it as if it happened yesterday. "I was walking down the hall and over the loudspeaker came an announcement that President Kennedy was shot and killed," she told me.

"I burst into tears and walked out of school. My mother knew I would be coming home because when John F. Kennedy was running for president, he came to the Sikorsky Airport in Stratford. When he got off the plane he walked along the fence, greeting the public, and he shook my hand. I'll never forget it. I was in awe."

What else does she remember about her days at Andrew Warde High School? "My favorite teacher was my biology teacher, Miss Klanick," she said. "I was in Smedley house. Do I remember my homeroom? You bet I do. I was in SC4. It was the chemistry lab room. My homeroom teacher was Mr. Magee and I always called him Mr. Magoo. For that I had detention. Even on graduation day."

She also remembered graduation day and all the emotions which went along with it. "You would think that that would have been a happy occasion, but for me it was sad," she said. "As we entered the courtyard and started down the path, the tears rolled down my face. I cried so hard I could hardly see. I knew in my heart that for me this was the last time I would see some of my classmates. I was right because there are a number of them I haven't seen since graduation."

Evans cherishes her high school memories. "High school was the BEST four years of my life. I loved school. I loved my classes, all except one. I had great friends and now I have wonderful memories. I wish I could go back and do it all over again."

Paul

Please sign the AWHS Guest Book.

Visit the Andrew Warde High School Gift Shop.

Watch the AWHS 1976 vintage "film".

No comments: