*** Welcome to the Andrew Warde High School tribute website ... There are 46 issues of the Crimson Crier school newspaper from 1967 through 1976 available for download on this website ... Please visit the companion blog in the "Library" in the left-hand margin to access and download the Crimson Crier newspapers ... Please credit this website for any content, photos, or videos you share with others ... Paul Piorek is editor and publisher of the Andrew Warde High School tribute website and a proud member of the AWHS Class of 1976 ... Contact Paul at paulpiorek@gmail.com ...

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Raineault Hurled Four-Hitter to Lead Warde Over New Canaan in Fairfield on This Date in 1967

Junior Jack Raineault hurled a brilliant four-hitter as Andrew Warde edged New Canaan, 2-1, in an FCIAC pitcher's duel in Fairfield on Friday, April 28, 1967.

Raineault struck out 12 batters and walked only one in winning his second game of the season against one defeat. Piel Pennington, who also tossed a four-hitter, took his second mound loss in as many decisions for the visiting Rams.

"The game against New Canaan was 43 years ago, so I don't remember a thing about it," Raineault, who works in Norwalk, admitted via email. "It seems unbelievable that I struck out 12 in that game. New Canaan must have have been pretty weak offensively."

The Crimson Eagles tallied single runs in the second and third innings. In the second, Jim Roman reached on an error, stole second base, moved to third on a fielder's choice grounder, and scored on a wild pitch.

Jon Davis singled and moved around the bases on a wild pitch and a single by Al Rakoczy for the third inning marker and a two-run cushion for the hosts.

New Canaan's lone run came in the first inning on singles by Euch Tiani and Doug Balne combined with an error and a walk. The Rams remained winless in six outings, while Coach Bob Jackson's Eagles improved to 2-4.

"I don't believe we had a winning season in baseball during the four years I was at Warde, but it was a great group of guys on the team and Coach Jackson had an easygoing approach that made him good to play for," wrote Raineault.

"I have been in touch with John Simone and Mike Aliberti who were also on that team that beat New Canaan, and I have run into Jon Davis when each of us has been bicycling around Weston," continued Raineault. "I am grateful for the opportunity to play sports in high school, for without them I would have been lost."

Paul

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The game against New Canaan was 43 years ago so I don't remember a thing about it. It seems unbelievable that I struck out 12 in that game. New Canaan must have have been pretty weak offensively. I remember the New Canaan pitcher, Piel Pennington, who was also the quarterback of the Rams when we played them in football. I don't believe we had a winning season in baseball during the 4 years I was at Warde but it was a great group of guys on the team and Coach Jackson had an easygoing approach that made him good to play for. I have been in touch with John Simone and Mike Aliberti who were also on that team that beat New Canaan, and I have run into Jon Davis when each of us has been bicycling around Weston. I am grateful for the opportunity to play sports in high school for without them I would have been lost.

Jack Raineault