*** Welcome to the Andrew Warde High School tribute website ... There are 46 issues of the Crimson Crier school newspaper from 1967 through 1976 available for download on this website ... Please visit the companion blog in the "Library" in the left-hand margin to access and download the Crimson Crier newspapers ... Please credit this website for any content, photos, or videos you share with others ... Paul Piorek is editor and publisher of the Andrew Warde High School tribute website and a proud member of the AWHS Class of 1976 ... Contact Paul at paulpiorek@gmail.com ...

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Dream-Come-True for Website Author

I was honored to serve as the public address announcer at last night's annual baseball game between Fairfield Ludlowe and Fairfield Warde high schools. The Battle of Harbor Yard was played at the minor league ballpark in Bridgeport, which is home to the Bridgeport Bluefish of the Atlantic League, and it was a dream-come-true for this writer.

The Warde Mustangs defeated the Ludlowe Falcons, 7-5, before a good-sized crowd. I sat in the press box and announced the starting lineups, introduced the Warde chorus, which sang the national anthem, and introduced Ed Bengermino, the legendary hall of fame coach at Warde, who threw out the first pitch. I also announced each batter throughout the game.


As a child, I always envisioned myself as either a sports play-by-play announcer or public address announcer. Never did I imagine I would be an Emmy-award winning television weatherman. Sports was always my passion when I was young, and being an announcer was my childhood dream.

"The real thanks all go to you," wrote Warde athletic director Glenn Mackno, who invited me to call the game. "Your announcing makes it special. Thank you for all your assistance this year, and I will be speaking with (the new athletic director) to keep you on the Warde side of town, including an outdoor microphone for softball."


I announced the Warde girls and boys basketball games this year, and I will also be announcing the Warde boys' lacrosse senior night festivities and game next Monday evening at Tetreau/Davis Field. Previously, I was the Ludlowe football, girls basketball, and softball announcer for the last two years.

I had the unique distinction of announcing the Warde vs. Ludlowe football, girls basketball, boys basketball, and baseball games this school year. That's because I was the voice of the Falcon football program before moving to Warde last Winter. Warde won all four contests against its cross-town rivals.

Paul

No comments: