*** Welcome to the Andrew Warde High School tribute website ... There are 46 issues of the Crimson Crier school newspaper from 1967 through 1976 available for download on this website ... Please visit the companion blog in the "Library" in the left-hand margin to access and download the Crimson Crier newspapers ... Please credit this website for any content, photos, or videos you share with others ... Paul Piorek is editor and publisher of the Andrew Warde High School tribute website and a proud member of the AWHS Class of 1976 ... Contact Paul at paulpiorek@gmail.com ...

Friday, March 30, 2007

PAC Memories

By Tony Procaccini

As some of your readers may remember, I was the afternoon announcer for the PAC during our senior year, 1975-1976. I may have done some work there previously, but am not 100% sure of that. I don't know why I was not in the group photo for Flame 1976, either. Oh, well! By the way, one benefit of this volunteer work was early dismissal from my last period classes!

My opening phrase was always the same, one I've always remembered: "Good afternoon, Andrew Warde, this is 'Tony Pro' for the PAC with the afternoon announcements." Then I'd go into the various rehearsal changes, sports bulletins, cancellations, etc. I seem to remember getting brief memos in either printed or hand-written form, and then forming the phrases spontaneously. A good way to learn to speak publicly, and think quickly, too.

I had frequent opportunity to meet and get to know the personnel in the Main Office, among them our Headmaster, Mr. Robert Genualdi. He was familiar to my father before he became headmaster, since my father tuned his piano and knew of his music ability; Mr. Genualdi is an accomplished string bassist and orchestra member. His son Joseph is a concert violinist.Years later, coincidentally, I became Orchestra Manager for Genualdi in his first season (1980-1981) as Music Director of the Bridgeport Symphony Youth Orchestra.

He started turning around the organization then, and I was fortunate to be there that year. (I did that job for only one season.) He remained at the helm for 26 years, and the orchestra grew into a set of four, with "feeder" orchestras, etc. When I called Mr. Genualdi in the summer of 2006 to invite him to our reunion in August, he remembered me instantly, and remembered our collaboration from so many years ago.

All in all, my experience with the PAC was a very positive one, and put me in touch with a lot of people I may never have met. It also gave me exposure to the entire school, and helped foster the desire to remain in touch with many classmates and non-classmate friends over the years.

Last year's Warde 1976 reunion was a natural outcome of these times, a reward, you might say, for the efforts made years earlier.

Tony Procaccini
Warde 1976 30-year Reunion Committee President

No comments: