*** Welcome to the Andrew Warde High School tribute website ... There are 46 issues of the Crimson Crier school newspaper from 1967 through 1976 available for download on this website ... Please visit the companion blog in the "Library" in the left-hand margin to access and download the Crimson Crier newspapers ... Please credit this website for any content, photos, or videos you share with others ... Paul Piorek is editor and publisher of the Andrew Warde High School tribute website and a proud member of the AWHS Class of 1976 ... Contact Paul at paulpiorek@gmail.com ...

Thursday, September 07, 2006

More Thoughts on 1972



By Tony Procaccini
Reunion Committee President
Andrew Warde High School Class of 1976

I read the 1972 entry, Paul. Way to go!!! I still remember what I wore my first day at Warde. I wore a light blue short-sleeve shirt and dark blue pants. It was a warm day. In our freshman year, Joe O'Brien and I started noticing that Linda Hedberg's parents were driving her to school at about the same time every day. So Joe would be at my house slightly before they left, guaranteeing a free ride for the two of us! It was a big help in the Winter, believe me!!! Linda was in town after our reunion, and she, her sister Nancy Hedberg (Warde 1974), Judy Gadacy, and I had a hugely fun night at Pike Diner, laughing hysterically at old stories, etc.

Your thoughts on 1972 triggered some research on my part. On Sunday, June 18, 1972, Assumption School had graduation day. Many of my classmates went to Warde, too many to name here. They know who they are, and we were about 18-strong for the Warde reunion last month. Our 35-year reunion takes place in 2007. I'll be involved in that, too, and quite happily. We're a close-knit group.

Ironically, June 17, 1972, was the day of the Watergate Hotel complex break-in. But we had nothing to do with it, I promise you, and the dated photos will prove it! For the school's 30th reunion in July 2002, we had some 1972 trivia on our invitation, and I've added some facts culled from other sources. I think your readers will get a kick out of this.

Hit Songs: American Pie (#1 for the year), A Horse With No Name, The Candy Man (by the always "cool" Sammy Davis, Jr.), Alone Again, I Am Woman (Helen Reddy), Papa Was A Rolling Stone, and My Ding-A-Ling. I chose some oddball titles here, as you can see.

Sports news: In the NBA, the Lakers finally won a championship while playing in Los Angeles. "Broadway" Joe Namath (aka "Joe Willy") was still playing for the Jets, Reggie Jackson was still with the Oakland Athletics and O.J. Simpson was in his prime. American Mark Spitz dominated swimming in the Olympics.

Politics: George Wallace and George McGovern would get walloped in the November elections by Richard M. Nixon and Spiro T. Agnew. But we know what happened soon after to the victors. The bungled break-in of June 17, 1972 proved fatal for the President.

Movies: "The Godfather" came out in the early part of the year, and I saw it with Assumption (and later Warde) classmates Gary Austin and Charlie Costa, though we were underage. We asked an elderly couple in line if they would say they're our parents, and they agreed! This took place at the Merritt Theater on Main Street in Bridgeport. I'll never forget that story. "The French Connection," "The Poseidon Adventure," and "Deliverance" also came out that year.

If I find more 1972 trivia, I'll write to you again. Keep up the good work!

Tony Procaccini

No comments: