*** Welcome to the Andrew Warde High School tribute website ... There are 46 issues of the Crimson Crier school newspaper from 1967 through 1976 available for download on this website ... Please visit the companion blog in the "Library" in the left-hand margin to access and download the Crimson Crier newspapers ... Please credit this website for any content, photos, or videos you share with others ... Paul Piorek is editor and publisher of the Andrew Warde High School tribute website and a proud member of the AWHS Class of 1976 ... Contact Paul at paulpiorek@gmail.com ...

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Then & Now ... How Times Have Changed

While sitting in my car waiting to pick up my son from Roger Ludlowe Middle School yesterday afternoon, I was amazed at the number of young children who were talking on their cell phones on their way out of school. It seemed like one out of every four children was on the phone. Naturally, I thought back to our days in high school. Much has changed technologically over the last 30 years.

For one thing, we didn't have cell phones. Many of us had only one telephone in the house, and that was a rotary phone probably located in the kitchen. We didn't have "chordless," "total phone," or "speed dial," either. I don't even remember having an answering machine.

Obviously, there weren't any home computers 30 years ago. Middle schoolers and high schoolers today spend countless hours on the Web "instant messaging" their friends. That's become just as common as the telephone. I rarely see children outside after school any more.

How did we get in touch with our friends? That's easy. We'd either run over to a friend's house or use the rotary phone. If it was busy, we just had to wait. When we were young, we spent most of our free time outside playing games or just "having fun."

The way we listen to music has dramatically changed, too. Over 30 years ago many of us listened to our favorite songs and disc jockeys on AM radio. I especially enjoyed listening to the likes of Harry Harrison, Dan Ingram, Cousin Brucie, and Ron Lundy on WABC. I also listened to "Big Al" Warren and Frank Derak on WICC. Derak used to host a program called "Instant Request" every Friday night, and I was thrilled to hear my pre-recorded voice and favorite song on the radio.

The static on AM radio never seemed to bother me. Every time a thunderstorm approached, or my parents turned on an electrical appliance, there was loud static on the radio, interrupting the music. Imagine children today putting up with static or interference while listening to their favorite music?

Believe it or not, Al Warren, who started at WICC in 1965, still hosts his weekend morning show, and he still sounds as good as ever. Listening to his show brings back so many pleasant memories from childhood. Of course, he still plays the favorites from the 60s and 70s, and that's what makes his show special, too.

I still remember listening to him on snowy Winter mornings deliver the school delays and closings. Of course, we'd have to wait until after the commercial break and listen as Al went through the entire list alphabetically, including some obscure schools I was sure nobody attended. As soon as he announced Darien and Easton, I'd say a prayer hoping that Fairfield was next. If I missed the announcement, I'd have to wait at least another 10 or 15 minutes before the list was read again. Today, parents and children go online and know whether school is delayed or closed instantly.

As for music, children can listen to their favorite music instantly today by downloading it from the Internet, creating their own "playlists" on Ipods, and making their own customized CDs. When I was young, I bought my favorite 45s at the record store and couldn't wait to play them on my record player or living room hi-fi. I'm sure you remember being very careful with the records so as not to scratch them. I also belonged to a "record club" and couldn't wait to get home from school to see if the mailman had delivered my new records. It seemed the anticipation of waiting for something special was just as exciting as actually receiving it.

Even though today's technology has made much of what we used and enjoyed obsolete, there's something to be said about nostalgia. Just take a look at Ebay, and you'll see the popularity of "retro" items. Baby boomers are looking for the things they enjoyed while growing up, and I'm not ashamed to say that I'm one of them.

I've mentioned in earlier blog entries how I listen to Mark Simone's Saturday Night Oldies show on WABC. It's become "appointment radio" for me. The show is unique for many reasons. First, Mark plays the popular songs of the 50s, 60s, and 70s. He also interviews the former disc jockeys on WABC from over a generation ago.

His guests also include former TV stars, singers, songwriters, and celebrities from our youth. He plays "fake breaks," which are familiar commercials we used to hear many years ago. It's also interactive in that listeners participate in an online message board. They're also invited to call in and reminisce with Mark on the air. It's a great experience --- combining the old with the new --- for those who fondly recall our youth.

My son can't possibly imagine why I enjoy listening to music on AM radio every weekend morning and Saturday night. "Dad, it sounds awful. There's too much static. It fades in and out." My response while the Spinners were playing in the background? "Billy, this is the way music sounded when I was your age. In fact, it doesn't sound any better than this." And I truly believe that.

The bottom line is that, almost universally, we had more patience, worked hard, appreciated things much more, and spent a good deal of our free time outside playing and having fun. In most cases, today's children need instant gratification, feel they have a right to have everything, and aren't nearly as motivated as we were.

I'll take our generation any time.

Paul

No comments: